Travel to destinations planned mostly for leisure or business purposes can usually be stressful with complications connected to health affecting the timeline. Compiled with the purpose of providing insight into travel complications faced in common by frequent travellers, reduction and prevention can be directly connected to the information gathered in being aware of dealing with such occurrences.
- Food & Beverage Risks – With the chances of exposure to organisms within beverage and food intake being high during travel, diarrhoea is considered a common issue plaguing travellers. Spread by human/ animal faecal matter contaminating food and water, caution is advised in selecting food outlets with bottled, filtered and boiled water utilized during the timeline. Good food, water and hand hygiene is considered essential during travel in avoiding diarrhoea related complications.
- Accidents – Travellers commonly encounter issues pertaining to accidental injury or violence in comparison to major health complications in general as per statistics collected globally. Reduction of such risks are dependent on the travel advise obtained prior with sufficient emergency measures understood in dealing in the case of such unforeseen situations in general.
- Respiratory Issues – Flu and common cold are among significant respiratory tract infections encountered by many with travel groups and events associated within crowded spaces as hotels, cruise ships and busses. Practise of healthy respiratory hygiene during such travel situations is advised in curbing such complications. Specialized medical advice from a travel vaccination clinic Singapore or similar can be utilized in ensuring a safe and healthy timeline.
Avoiding direct contact with people appearing unwell, avoidance of direct hand to eyes, nose and mouth, washing hands utilizing soap, alcohol hand wash and water is recommended during travel in ensuring formidable health. Usage of disposable tissue during sneezing or coughing whilst maintaining good personal hygiene with is considered key to avoiding health complication generally encountered.
- Insect Bites – Mosquitos, ticks and insects capable of transferring diseases to humans is also an area to consider with sand flies, fleas and various bugs are capable of transmitting disease through viruses and bacteria. Being aware of such situations through travel guides and local information desks could help avoidance in encountering such issues.
- Sexual Health & Sun Screens – Condom usage being recommended for sexual activity at all times could prevent contracting of AIDS, HIV and Hepatitis among various sexually transmittable disease commonly encountered whilst usage of sunscreens and moisturizers reduces risks related to UV and skin cancer.
With additional risk information pertaining to various travel destinations being highlighted on social media and travel guides, awareness through review and research is a recommended avenue to be explored in ensuring a safe and healthy travel experience as per medical professionals dealing with various conditions encountered by many.